I’m mad and perplexed.
When I was a squirt, stories about Jesus Christ were told to me with the same level of seriousness (but less fanfare) as were stories about Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and all the other fictional characters American kids learn about.
I’m mad and perplexed because:
1. People I trusted and depended upon lied to me.
2. No one (that I remember) ever said, “Oh, all that stuff was a lie. Except the stories about Jesus.”
3. What purpose on earth can there be for telling those lies to kids? Think about that. What would any person who’d been lied to by parents, grandparents, the whole freakin’ Western culture logically conclude upon learning she’d been duped big time?
4. I wrongly dismissed Jesus and the bible as a fabrication along with Santa Claus, et al.
5. How would my life have been different had I known which story was true?
6. How would my life have been different had I not been lied to in the first place?
Parents: Don’t cave into the culture. Don’t lie to your kids. It can warp your kids in ways you can’t fix.